Post-doc Research Position in modeling of deformable organs for minimally invasive surgery
The Altair Robotic Group of the Department of Computer Science at the University of Verona (Italy) is inviting applications for a Post-doc research position in the field of physical modelling and image registration for applications in robotic assisted minimally invasive surgical procedures.
The University of Verona (UNIVR) was founded 30 years ago, giving autonomy to a spinoff of the University of Padua. Being at the center of a large agricultural basin, the University of Verona has focused on issues related to human well being, such as health, agriculture, economy and humanities. In particular, the Faculty of Medicine has reached a significant level of quality and innovation, and it fostered the establishment of the Faculty of Sciences in 1995. Within the Faculty of Sciences, the Department of Computer Science was started in 2001, which now counts about 50 Faculty members, and a thousand students. It offers specialization in theoretical computer science, multi-media, embedded systems and bio and medical informatics.
Within the Department, the candidate will carry out his/her research at the Robotics Laboratory ALTAIR, which has a decade long history of research on autonomous and tele-operated systems for service and surgical robotic systems. The ALTAIR laboratory employs a staff of about 20 people, including two professors, 4 post-doc, 6 PhD students, 5 research associates and several students carrying out their BS or MS theses. The research in ALTAIR focuses mostly on robotic surgery addressing the specific areas of organ modelling and fast computational algorithms for haptics, high performance software architectures and control algorithms for tele-surgery, US-guided intervention, and advanced simulation environments for robotic surgery planning and training.
The successful candidate should have a strong background in the fields of physical modeling, or in modeling of human organs, computation algorithms and possibly medical image registration, confirmed by publications in international conferences and journals. Prior experience in at least two of these topics is required.
- PhD in computer medical image processing and/or registration, and/or soft tissue real-time modelling or related field
- Experience in national or international research projects is a plus
- Ability to work in teams, self-organization and to meet deadlines on time.
- Very good command of spoken and written English, readiness to learn Italian
- Track record in software development with scripting language such as Matlab/Octave or Python, including code optimization for on-line data processing.
- Expertise in C++ development on multiple platforms is a plus.
- Experience in GPU programming (Cuda, OpenCL) as well as CMake and git is a plus
- Readiness to travel within Europe
We are looking forward to receive your application, including in addition to a complete CV and a letter of motivation. The position will be open until a suitable candidate is found.
Contact, Information and Applications:
Professor Paolo Fiorini — firstname.lastname@example.org